Monday 5 December 2011

December In Bloom

Agapanthus africanus
Ah, the sound of Christmas carols are merrily wafting around the shops and out of the radio at home. People are looking a bit frantic and clutching armfuls of brightly coloured wrapping paper and oodles of bags in Cambridge as they set about their quest for the perfect Christmas present; have to say, my little stall on Cambridge market is doing very good trade as everyone really likes the range of unique and different gardening and home items I have there. As well as every Wednesday and Thursday, I'm also doing Saturdays before Christmas (but not Christmas Eve), so do pop in and say hello if you are in town.
Osteospurmum
Pelargoinums
Helenium 'Sahin's Early'
Salvia 'Mainacht'
We may very well be getting into our 'deep and crisp and even' period, but as I walked around my garden last Friday (2nd December, the day before my birthday), blow me down with a feather - there's a lot of flowers blooming happily here! We've had a couple of frosts in this rural corner of Cambridgeshire but plants are standing up well to the weather and the battering winds (the joys of an exposed garden). I haven't even put winter bedding into my hanging baskets yet which are still looking dazzling, but slightly subdued, with trailing pelargoinums: the dahlias are now black in the borders so must lift them before any snow arrives, ensuring they dry out well and are stored in a place where the frost won't touch them. There's even a bit of autumn colour still clinging to almost bare branches from a couple of sheltered Acer griseum trees and a new Parrotia persica, which I put in about a month ago, is looking rather glorious. This large shrub/small tree is something I have coveted for some time and I was really pleased to track one down recently at Crocus.
Salvia 'Indigo'
Raspberries
Margueritte
Chrysanthemums
Gaura lindheimeri
Blairi no. 2 rose
It will be interesting to see how the borders maintain, or not, their flowering as December progresses. I'll keep you posted!
Pelargoinums in pots
  
Nigella




1 comment:

  1. Look at the color of the flower it looks so blue really amazing ! Mind feels so pleasant looking at such kind of flowers !

    ReplyDelete